100 Years in Pictures

To date, 100 percent of the student body at the School of Science and Medicine goes on to college.MOCA Cleveland’s faceted, mirrored, four-story art gallery anchors the Uptown development.1997: Cleveland Clinic Foundation2010: Case Western Reserve UniversityCaptain Frank’s seafood restaurant at the end of the Ninth Street Pier once commanded downtown’s best view of Lake Erie.A. E. Convers FundThe issues facing 21st-century Clevelanders—educational and economic opportunity, neighborhood and cultural vitality, and strong health and human services—are much the same as those with which earlier generations wrestled.Cleveland Institute of ArtJames R. GarfieldHarry Coulby FundsStanley C. PaceGreen City Growers Cooperative’s 3.25-acre hydroponic greenhouse in the Central neighborhood opened in 2013.  Barack Obama campaigns at Tri-C, 2007Jacqueline F. WoodsCleveland City Hospital’s “iron lung” respirator, used for treating polio patients whose paralyzed muscles cause breathing difficulties, 1933Green City Growers supplies Bibb lettuce, green leaf lettuce, gourmet lettuces and basil to institutional and commercial customers.The State TheatreProgressive Field at GatewayAn examination room at the Glenville Health ClinicThe Frederick C. Crawford Auto Aviation Collection at the Western Reserve Historical SocietyGeorge and Janet VoinovichAn east-side Cleveland elementary school, 1963: growing frustration with what appears to be systematic segregation2013: Friends of the Cleveland School of the ArtsSophisticated life support equipment in an air ambulance made by Nextant Aerospace, Ohio’s only aircraft manufacturer and a MAGNET clientA “City Canvases” mural by graphic designer John MorellAnisfield-Wolf Book AwardsFirst grants to advance serious medical research in an era still plagued with quackery: The Cunningham Sanitarium, located at East 185th Street and Lake Shore Boulevard, c. 1928. The sanitarium offered patients access to the world’s largest hyperbaric chamber, but its claims for the benefits of oxygen therapy proved specious.Andrew Carnegie, the “king of steel,” created a private foundation to carry out his philanthropic activities. Goff invented a simpler, more affordable mechanism to serve the charitable impulses of caring individuals of all means.After their father's untimely death, future political icons Carl (left) and Louis Stokes lived with their mother at Outhwaite Homes.Linking city kids to life-enriching programs: Duffy Liturgical Dance teaches children to perform and thus preserve songs and dances created by African slaves in America.Lakeview TerraceHolsey Gates HandysideThe foundation’s 1915 public education survey resulted in sweeping reform. For decades thereafter, Cleveland’s school system was regarded as a model of excellence.New Gallery co-founders Marjorie Talalay (left) and Nina Castelli SundellCommencement at Tri-C, 1975Cool Cleveland editor and publisher Tom MulreadyThe Goff home on Lake Shore Boulevard in BratenahlFrank H. and Nancy L. Porter Fund1985: Cleveland State UniversityThe West 25th Street retail district in Ohio City exemplifies the objective recently adopted by Neighborhood Progress, Inc. of restoring market forces in target neighborhoods.Kent H. SmithFlotsam despoiling the beach at Gordon ParkFrances Southworth, Goff’s bride and intellectual partnerMichael D. White won voter support for “mayoral control” of the Cleveland public schools.The Board of Education building in downtown Cleveland, longtime headquarters of the system’s central administrationMOCA ClevelandSherwick FundJ. Kimball Johnson1972: Huron Road MallThe Cleveland Trust Company’s neoclassical banking hall, which opened in 1908, was topped by an immense stained-glass dome.Famed urban planner Lawrence Halprin (right) presented his ideas for downtown Cleveland’s redevelopment at a public forum in 1975 attended by Cleveland mayor Ralph J. Perk (center) and May Company department store president Francis Coy (left).Church Square Commons, offering affordable apartments for adults 55 and older, is one of the Famicos Foundation’s most recent projects in Hough.27 Coltman, a luxury townhome development on the eastern boundary of University CircleJames D. WilliamsonMAGNET incubator tenant Tom Lix, the founder and CEO of Cleveland Whiskey, which has developed a proprietary process for accelerating the aging of distilled liquorsParticipants in Parade the Circle, an annual celebration of creativity Leadership of a 1933 initiative to replace squalid tenements with subsidized garden apartmentsMort Epstein’s Pop Art-inspired electrical outlet, a CAAC-commissioned mural, graced the Union building on Euclid Avenue.Cleveland Museum of ArtAlthough the foundation’s trailblazing was a faded tradition by 1955, when this picture of the trustee bank presidents holding a replica of the foundation’s logo was snapped, its stature as the world’s first community trust remained a source of pride.Kucinich proclaiming victory on the eve of his election as mayor in 1977A new generation of Circle fans1959: Cleveland Institute of MusicTri-C’s early use of computers as a teaching aid, c. 1980Hunter MorrisonThe Cleveland Foundation emerged from the crucible of the 1960s a stronger leader and more strategic grantmaker.Addressing the changing socioeconomic needs of the African-American community: 20th anniversary convening of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, hosted by Cleveland in 1929Cleveland Play House1968: Karamu HouseCharles A. Ratner1999: Western Reserve Historical SocietyMAGNET consultants helped Nextant Aerospace of Richmond Heights, Ohio, apply lean principles to its specialty business of remanufacturing corporate jets for an under-$5 million market. Catharine Monroe Lewis2010: Hawken SchoolCarl W. BrandMAGNET incubator graduate, DXY Solutions, makes components and software for mobile devices.Ohio CityL. Dale Dorney Fund2001: Cleveland Botanical GardenThe East Central Townhomes, after a $1.2 million renovation by Burten, Bell and Carr Development CorporationApollo’s FireJames A. RatnerThe Allen Theatre, originally an opulent silent movie house, c. 1938Raymond C. Moley1982: Cleveland Institute of ArtCleveland’s well-financed and -run network of community development organizations targeted this crumbling but historic eight-unit rowhouse in the Central neighborhood for rehabilitation.Cleveland’s busy riverfront, south of the Superior ViaductCleveland Housing Network financing programs have helped low- to moderate-income families become homeowners.St. Joseph's Orphanage for Girls on Woodland AvenueInstitute of Pathology at Western Reserve University, as it appeared at its opening in 1929An owner-employee of the Evergreen Laundry2002: Cleveland Institute of MusicUnder the leadership of former CEO Baiju Shah, BioEnterprise created, recruited or helped to grow more than 170 local biotechnology companies.Cleveland voters expressed their hopes for the success of the reform plan by approving the Issue 107 operating levy.Goff in a rare moment of leisure2003: Hanna Perkins Center for Child Development2004: The Gathering PlaceKatharine Holden Thayer by Cindy NaegeleGoff wisely decided that an independent citizen’s committee should determine how a community foundation’s income should be distributed, rather than the directors of the foundation’s trustee bank. Cleveland schools CEO Eric Gordon and Cleveland mayor Frank Jackson stumping in 2012 for the passage of the first operating levy to be placed on the ballet in 16 yearsThe Cleveland Foodbank’s LEED-certified distribution centerRock and Roll Hall of Fame and MuseumLexington VillageTreu-Mart FundSinging AngelsRonald B. RichardDavid GoldbergDetroit ShorewayWade Oval Wednesdays, summertime’s popular outdoor music seriesProposed townhomes for East 118th Street1956: Cleveland Institute of ArtEdgewater Park under state stewardshipArtist’s conception of the new Regional Transit Authority station planned for Mayfield Road in Little ItalyFoundation leaders confer about how to distribute 1947 income of $614,479 to a standing list of charitable institutions and agencies. Foundation director Leyton E. Carter (third from right) is seated next to the board’s sole female member, Constance Mather Bishop. The passenger terminal at Cleveland-Hopkins Airport, c. 1956Homer C. WadsworthFrederick Harris Goff, humanitarian, 1858‒19231996: Old Stone ChurchRobert E. Eckardt, Ph.D.The Great Lakes Science Center’s wind turbineCleveland Public Art2006: Cleveland Clinic FoundationWelcome committees were organized to greet bused students on their first day at their new crosstown schools. Master planner I. M. Pei (right), Cleveland’s urban renewal director James Lister (center) and chief architect Jack Hayes at the Erieview Tower construction site, 1954 Circle institutions have invested or are planning to invest billions in capital improvements, such as University Hospitals of Cleveland’s new Seidman Cancer Center.1991: Hathaway Brown SchoolVice President Hubert H. Humphrey showed his support for Stokes’s Cleveland: NOW! initiative on a visit to the city in 1968.Carl B. Stokes at a town hall meeting, 1969: an historic but troubled mayoral administration Innovation: CleveMed’s wireless sleep monitor1981: Convention and Visitors Bureau of Greater ClevelandGreat Lakes Theater FestivalGordon Park in its heydayA burning desire to be an attorney animated Goff as a young man.  Wade Lagoon, the tranquil heart of Cleveland’s cultural hub 2006: MOCA ClevelandGraduation day at Cleveland Early College High School, 2012Kenneth W. Clement M.D.Neighbors who have come together to work on improvement of their neighborhoodDr. King speaking in Rockefeller Park on a visit to Cleveland in 1967. The previous year he had dramatized the issue of housing discrimination by moving his family into a grimy apartment on the segregated west side of Chicago and joining in protest marches into that city’s all-white neighborhoods.Sold out! Heritage Lane townhomes, built within walking distance of the CircleMalvin E. BankUptown, the Circle’s exciting, new high-density neighborhood, has all the amenities associated with urban living.Protest demonstration at Cleveland State University, 1969: poverty rates in the central city on the riseTremontCleveland mayor Ralph S. LocherMalcolm L. McBride2005: ideastream2002: Shaker Lakes Regional Nature CenterMembers of the African-American Philanthropy Committee: Reverend Elmo A. Bean, Doris A. Evans, M.D., David G. Hill, Lillian W. BurkeVietnamese lutist Pham Thi Hue was Young Audiences of Northeast Ohio’s artist in residence in 2013.The restored Hungarian Cultural GardenLAND Studio’s proposed redesign of Public SquareHalprin’s impressionist sketch of Cleveland’s “Flats,” which he praised as a “tremendous resource.”  
By 1929, when Cleveland laid claim to having the tallest skyscraper in the country—the Terminal Tower, evocatively captured here by famed photographer Margaret Bourke-White—the community foundation movement had spread across America.The foundation helped to draft and win passage of a clean energy law for Ohio.An assembly line at the Ford Motor Company plant in Brook Park, 1973: manufacturing jobs on the declineBusiness attraction: The Global Center for Health InnovationSustaining the excellence of the region’s cultural assets: a summer solstice party at the Cleveland Museum of ArtMayor Dennis Kucinich’s ceremonial presentation of a post-default debt paymentAlbert Sabin (left) developed the oral vaccine given to Cleveland children.Fairfax2000: Cleveland Zoological SocietyAdvocating greater reliance on clean energy: a wind farm in northwestern OhioIvan Lecaros (right), a master printmaker from Chile, puts the final touches on a drawing for a silkscreen print during his 2012 residency at Zygote Press.Chester Avenue demarks the northern border of the MidTown Corridor.Privately developed Beacon Place Townhomes on East 82nd Street—evidence of the return of middle-class Clevelanders to the central cityThe Cleveland Housing Network assisted the Mt. Pleasant Now nonprofit development corporation with the construction of the Union Court senior apartments.Euclid Avenue, looking east, c. 1910Projects receiving recent Neighborhood Connection grants have ranged from hands-on crafts classes to the reintroduction of beekeeping.  Playhouse Square, c. 1969Lake-Geauga FundGlenville High School students, 1914Donald and Ruth GoodmanKaramu HouseSteven A. MinterFirst Lady Eleanor Roosevelt (third from left) at the 1937 dedication of Lakeview Terrace, the nation’s first public housingThe March on Washington, August 28, 1963, at which Martin Luther King Jr. called upon the nation to make good on democracy’s promise of social and economic freedom for all citizens The Palace, the flagship of the Keith chain of vaudeville theaters, reinvented itself as a wide-screen movie house in the 1950s.Cleveland OrchestraReinhold W. Erickson, D.D.S.1964: Garden Center of Greater ClevelandTom L. Johnson, a reformer who served as Cleveland’s mayor from 1901 to 1909, helped to shape the city’s progressive climate. The multitude of organizational nameplates on the door to the Cleveland Foundation’s offices in the 1970s testified to its rebirth as a nexus of progressive philanthropy and an incubator of social-action programs.  1968: Holden ArboretumOn December 15, 1978, Cleveland City Council considered and rejected Mayor Kucinich’s 11th-hour plan to avoid default.1957: Cleveland Museum of Natural HistoryJohn L. McChordAdam Joseph Lewis Center for Environmental Studies, Oberlin CollegeAlfred M. Rankin Jr.Aretha Franklin at the Tri-C JazzFestGrand opening of the Outhwaite Homes, 1937CommunityFoundationAtlas.org websiteBusiness growth: The Greater Cleveland Partnership’s business development teamTri-C groundbreaking, 1966The reversal of downtown Cleveland’s stagnation, symbolized by the redevelopment of the Terminal Tower, is a 60-year-old work in progress in which the foundation has been steadily engaged.John Sherwin Jr.The cast of Nicholas NicklebyHalprin worksheetPresbyterian minister Bruce W. Klunder died while protesting the construction of three public elementary schools that Cleveland’s civil rights community believed would perpetuate a system of segregated and inferior education for African-American students.On his way to building Cleveland Trust into America’s sixth largest bank, Goff occasionally took time out to indulge his passion for fishing.A greasy-spoon diner and flophouse at Payne and Walnut Avenues downtown, c. 1968—emblems of the City of Cleveland’s intensifying financial distress Dancer/choreographer Kapila Palihawadana of Sri Lanka, 2012 artist in residence with the Inlet Dance Theatre, conducts a master dance class at the Beck Center for the Performing Arts.Goff did not believe that philanthropy should be the exclusive province of wealthy individuals such as Standard Oil Company founder John D. Rockefeller, a client of Goff’s former law firm.H. Stuart HarrisonPlanning model of Cleveland, c. 19601973: Severance HallGreat Lakes Science Center1982: The TempleMAGNET’s Prism program helped Cleveland-based Vitamix keep up with demand for its high-end blenders.1996: Dunham Tavern MuseumStokes with his brother Louis (left)1976: Sokol Hall2009: Cleveland Institute of ArtThe NAACP-Cleveland’s fight for desegregation ultimately leads in 1973 to a federal lawsuit against the Cleveland public schools: the likelihood of court-ordering busing Dancing Wheels1967: Blossom Music CenterJohn SherwinStokes and his wife, Shirley, on election day, 1968 2000: Therapeutic Riding CenterNewBridge prepares adults for careers as health care technicians.1986: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and MuseumA new company that makes and installs solar-panel arrays has been created with foundation support.1976: Cleveland Play HouseEntrepreneurship: Wood Trac, an affordable, drop-ceiling system developed and marketed by Sauder Woodworking, a family-owned business in Ashland, OhioEvergreen Energy Solution’s photovoltaic panelsCleveland Ballet co-founder Dennis Nahat as the tsar and Nanette Glushak as the tsarina in the company’s signature holiday performance of The Nutcracker1998: Cuyahoga Valley Scenic RailroadFred S. McConnellTri-C JazzFest, 19931975: Kenneth C. Beck Center for the Cultural ArtsContaminants flowing into Lake Erie, 1965John J. Dwyer1961: Benjamin Rose InstituteHarold T. ClarkA landmark U.S. Supreme Court decision righted the injustice experienced by Clarence Earl Gideon, a drifter who was convicted of felony theft because he could not afford an attorney and had defended himself at trial.Harry Goldblatt, M.D.The Ohio Department of Natural Resources invested more than $40 million in capital improvements to the band of green spaces renamed the Cleveland Lakefront State Park. Global Cleveland’s welcome centerEllwood H. FisherA satellite photograph of Lake Erie, downtown Cleveland and the Cuyahoga River valley: The foundation has learned to take the long view in helping the community craft fresh responses to persistent urban problems.The RetreatThe bulldozer operator accidentally backed over Rev. Klunder in order to avoid hurting the protestors lying in front of him.Carlton K. MatsonOhio governor John Kasich at the signing of House Bill 525, legislation enabling education reform, in June 2012GroundWorks Dance TheaterClean water advocates, 1968Barbecue restaurant owner Al (Bubba) Baker received a microloan that enabled the former Browns football player to begin local distribution of his proprietary de-boned baby-back ribs.The foundation’s vision of creating a wind farm in Lake Erie is moving closer to reality.Raymond Q. ArmingtonCleveland OrchestraF. James and Rita Rechin FundThe formal entrance to the Judson Park retirement community, an independent living facility erected in 1974 next to the traditional nursing home established by the Baptist Home of Ohio in the former Bicknell mansion on Cleveland’s east sideLeyton E. Carter1984: Cleveland Department of Parks, Recreation and Properties2004: Cleveland Museum of ArtManchester Bidwell, the Pittsburgh model on which NewBridge is based, has instilled a love of learning in teens who previously did not fare well in school.Fostering economic opportunity via college scholarships: Garment workers at Joseph & Feiss Company, makers of the $15 blue serge suitNancy Dwyer’s Who’s on First? benchSlavic VillageCleveland BalletPalace Theatre lobby2007: Great Lakes Theater FestivalHough’s frustrations with its seemingly intractable problems erupted into violence during the summer of 1966.James A. NortonCharles P. BoltonArchitectural drawing of the Cleveland Metropolitan Housing Authority's Lakeview Tower, a senior high-rise proposed for the near west side in 1971Frances Southworth GoffCommunityFoundationAtlas.org websiteCleveland Housing Network was the lead developer of Greenbridge Commons, permanent housing for chronically homeless individuals, in the Fairfax neighborhood.Ralph J. Perk lends a hand to the theater restoration project, which began during his tenure as Cleveland mayor. The grand opening of The Avenue at Tower City, 1990Belle SherwinRichard W. PogueR. M. Fischer’s Sports Stacks1986: Cain ParkSPACESBarbara Haas RawsonIn 1967, this Cleveland Heights home, owned by an African American, was bombed in a senseless and vain attempt to halt the suburb’s integration.Inauguration ceremony of the 1975 World Conference of the International Women’s Year, Mexico City1994: Great Lakes Science MuseumUniversity Circle’s cultural institutions have long been renowned for their enriching educational activities.The 2011 renovation of the Allen Theatre's main auditoriumThe Dolan Center for Science and Technology at John Carroll University incorporated green building materials and smart energy and water systems.Support for humanitarian aid to the unemployed: Stone carvers responsible for the iconic pylons of the Lorain-Carnegie Bridge, a rare Depression-era construction project completed in 1932 with bond funds approved before the stock market crashUpper Chester, which abuts the Cleveland Clinic, is the next Circle neighborhood slated for redevelopment.The gallery's second home on Bellflower Road in University CircleCleveland, Ohio, the birthplace of an entirely new concept of philanthropyCleveland Film SocietyCleveland Institute of MusicDispersed by police, the protesters did not succeed in halting construction, but Klunder’s martyrdom inspired the civil rights community to continue what was ultimately a victorious fight against segregation of the Cleveland public schools.Title VIII (the “Federal Fair Housing Act”) of the Civil Rights Act of 1968, signed by President Johnson a week after the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr., advanced the struggle for integration taking place in Cleveland’s eastern suburbs and elsewhere across the nation.The original Free Clinic, a drug treatment center on Cornell RoadThe Peter B. Lewis Building, designed by Frank Gehry, is the home of Case Western Reserve University’s Weatherhead School of Management.